Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Articles On Smoking - Should Smoking Be Banned?


While everyone is well aware of the campaigns going on to stop smoking in public places, I do not believe it is our place to tell other people they should not be smoking altogether. If they want to smoke in private that is alright with me as long as they are not right there in my face.
I have never been totally against smoking myself, as I have smoked myself for short periods of time. When I was a kid growing up I admit to trying a cigarette or two. Later in life I think I smoked a cigarette out of a C- ration food box when I was in the military. Also, about twenty years ago I tried smoking a pipe. I did that for several months and enjoyed it very much. The only problem was my tongue got raw from the smoking and I decided to give it up.
While cigarettes have many health related risks, that does not seem to be stopping the majority of smokers from enjoying their smokes. And don't forget, as long as people smoke there will be lots of money collected in taxes. This tax money serves many useful purposes by providing necessary funds for state governments building projects.
And by the way, if there ever should be a law passed to ban smoking than quite a few people would be put out of work. There are farmers growing the tobacco, processing plants where the tobacco is turned into cigarettes and truck drivers who transport them to distribution outlets, etc.
Of course, there is also much money being spent on medical treatment for those people who have developed various tobacco related diseases. But, on the other hand how many people had heart bypass operations last year? People who eat foods that clog their arteries are causing their own health problems just like a smoker contributes to his or hers health problems. I am sure that if a law were being considered that would prohibit people from enjoying the foods that caused their health problems there would be quite a public outrage.
This country has a long history of other people trying to tell other people what to do. Personally, I feel they should all mind their own business and try to run their own lives and let others run theirs. It seems to me, the best way to handle this situation is to provide all the information to those that are seeking it and let them decide what is best for themselves.



No comments:

Post a Comment